The 8 best filter coffee machines of 2022
Technology may yet have to catch up with your dreams of getting coffee straight into your veins, but when the best thing about waking up is Java in your cup, it might be worth investing in a drip coffee maker. Originally invented to automate the process of making coffee, these machines can brew cup after cup of your favorite beverage with little effort on your part. Since the National Coffee Association estimates that Americans drink an average of three cups of coffee a day – that’s almost 1,100 cups a year – isn’t it about time you got yourself a quality coffee maker? We think so too.
What is a good filter coffee maker to buy?
Who says your soulmate can’t be a coffee maker? (Probably a therapist, but they don’t know your relationship as well as you do.) Your perfect drip coffee maker is out there — you just have to know what to look for! Here are some factors to consider when looking for the device of your dreams:
- Features: Whether you prefer your coffee mild or strong, hot or ice cold, simple or sophisticated, there’s a machine for you. Many models offer a variety of features that can enhance your experience, including adjustable strength, temperature, and even cup size options. If you like changing things up (or want to make up your own mind how you like your brew), you might also consider a machine that can brew different types of coffee.
- Number of servings: On average, most drip coffee makers can yield around 10-14 cups, but that might be overkill for smaller homes. If you’re the only coffee drinker in your house or have limited space, there are more compact options that can brew 4-5 cups at a time instead, or you can invest in a manual model that gives you complete control of your brew times and amounts .
- Glass vs Thermos: Although they tend to be more expensive, thermal jug models offer the convenience of keeping your brew warmer longer thanks to their self-insulating properties (unlike a hot plate which can burn your coffee). However, anyone who prefers the glass look not only saves money, but also saves themselves from worrying whether, as with most modern coffee machines, you have remembered to switch off the hotplate before leaving the house an automatic switch-off function.
- Convenience: There’s no shame in trying to make your life easier – we get it, you’re busy! Whether you hate cleaning up or don’t have time to prepare, many machines can bypass these obstacles. You can always consider a single-serve coffee maker to optimize your available time, but it can’t produce that much coffee at once. Meanwhile, drip coffee makers take a little longer because they produce a higher number of cups (unless you opt for a mini option), but they also offer more variety by not limiting you to the pods or K-Cups available to load . Regardless of your choice, we support you in your Java journey!
Are filter coffee machines good?
For fans of the classics, filter coffee machines are a good choice for preparing your coffee at home. However, there are some steps you can take to ensure your machine stays in good condition and consistently produces a flavorful, well-balanced cup. These tips and tricks can help you go from novice brewer to Lord of the Beans:
- To avoid stale coffee, always use fresh coffee grounds and fresh water.
- Although most manufacturers recommend adding one tablespoon of coffee for every six ounces of water, that is Specialty Coffee Association of America recommends doubling down with two tablespoons for every six ounces of water if you prefer a stronger brew. (Fun Fact: They call this the “Golden Cup” rule.)
- Be careful how much coffee you put in the filter though – if you overfill it, the coffee grounds could overflow and clog your machine.
- Prevent deposits (and bad-tasting coffee) by regularly cleaning all parts of your coffee maker that come into contact with coffee grounds.
How we selected these products
Are you ready to get up and grind? We consulted our friends at the Good housekeeping institute Kitchen Appliances Lab, which ranked the best drip coffee makers on the market based on a variety of factors including performance, ease of use and assembly, temperature consistency, cleanability, noise levels during operation, features and of course taste. Based on their findings, These are the best drip coffee makers to buy in 2022: