How To Fix “A JNI Error Occurred” in Minecraft (2022)
As you may already know, Minecraft Java Edition is the most powerful version of the game. You can customize, update and modify it to your liking with the best Minecraft mods – offline and online alike. But that also makes it prone to a variety of bugs. One of the most common and horrible series of errors is the JNI errors. Luckily, it’s super easy to fix this Java error affecting Minecraft in no time thanks to a few simple fixes. So, let’s see how to fix “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft.
Fix JNI errors in Minecraft (2022)
We first covered why the JNI error occurs when setting up a Minecraft server or opening the Minecraft launcher on your PC. However, you can use the table below to jump straight to the solution and fix your game.
What causes the JNI error in Minecraft
Minecraft Java and all of its features depend on the Java libraries on your computer to function properly. So if you are using a Minecraft server, mods or any feature that the library in your system doesn’t support, the game might face an error. Such errors fall into the class of JNI or Native Java interface Mistake.
These errors usually appear when the Java files are too new or your device’s Java version is out of date. Sometimes these errors also appear when the Java files installation path is corrupted. In other words, you just have to make sure your Java file and your system’s Java libraries are current and compatible with the version of Minecraft mod or server you have installed. This will fix the problem immediately.
How to fix the JNI error in Minecraft
There are four ways to remove the JNI errors in Minecraft Java Edition. So let’s first explain what these methods are and then learn how to fix them:
- Compatible Libraries: If you know which version of Java is required for the faulty file, you can simply install that specific version of the Java Libraries on your device. Then the JNI error should fix itself.
- Install the latest Java update: All recent Java versions are backward compatible. This means that a specific version of Java supports all files that require an earlier version of Java. So you just have to Install the latest version from Java to fix the JNI error without a second thought.
- Reset java path: In certain situations, your software or Java file may check for the wrong Java installation path. When this happens, the updated version of Java will not be recognized, resulting in it failing to load and causing the message “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft. so you can Reset the Java path in your system’s memory to point to the latest Java installation.
- Update JDK in terminal: Some Linux operating systems do not allow users to download the Java updates via third-party downloaded files. Then you need to use the built-in terminal to run commands that can install and update Java.
Update and install the latest Java version (Windows, Mac and Linux)
As you might have guessed, the second option to fix JNI errors in Minecraft is the easiest and most reliable. You don’t need to do any manual research and just need to update your system’s Java version to fix the error. That’s how it’s done:
1. First go to Oracle official site and look for your system’s operating system in the latest section. We’ll install Java for Windows, but you can use the same steps for Linux and macOS.
2. Then load the Java installation file by clicking on the download link. You may need to check the installer’s compatibility with a Linux-based operating system.
3. Once the download is complete, open the setup file and follow the step-by-step installation instructions.
4. You can change the location of the folder where you install the new version of Java. However, we advise you not to do this as many games and software will look for Java in the default directory.
5. When the installation is complete, click “Close‘ to exit the installer. Then you can run your Java files and features including Minecraft Java Edition without JNI errors.
Reset java path to fix Minecraft JNI error (Windows only)
If installing the latest update doesn’t fix JNI errors in Minecraft, your path variable for Java may be out of date or incorrect. In this case, follow these steps to reset Java’s path variable:
1. First use the Win key + R Windows 11 keyboard shortcut to open Run dialog box. Type here “sysdm.cpl‘ and press the Enter Key. This will open your device’s System Properties.
2. In the System Properties window, go to Advanced tab. and click the “Environment Variables” Button.
3. Next, look below System Variables section. and select that “path” variable. Then click “To edit” Button.
4. Finally, use the “Extinguish” to remove the corrupted Java variable paths and Restart your PC. If you are unsure which variable to delete, you can delete them all and reinstall Java using the steps in the previous section.
Install Java on Linux to fix Minecraft errors
To manually install Java on your Linux operating system, open the terminal app and use the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install openjdk-18-jdk
Remember to use one command after the other so that they work properly. However, make sure to replace the digit “18” with the latest version of Java for now. You can do a quick search to find it.
Uninstall old versions of Java on your PC (optional)
You can run Minecraft or any other software without JNI errors if you have the latest version of Java and it is not affected by previous versions of Java installed on your system. But if you want, you can still uninstall them to save disk space and ensure Minecraft is using the latest install. Here’s how.
1. First, press the Windows key and search for Control Panel. Click here to open it Switchboard from the search results.
2. Then go to “Uninstall a program” option under the “Programs” section.
3. Here you can find all Java versions on your system. You can click them Check your version number and double click on it to uninstall it.
Solve “JNI Error Occurred” in Minecraft
Thanks to newer versions of the game, JNI errors are rare these days. But even if you somehow stumble upon one, now you have a chance to fix JNI errors in Minecraft. And it will definitely help you when trying to create your own Minecraft Java server. Apart from that, you can also use the method to reduce errors while using the best Minecraft mods. If you still have JNI or similar errors in Minecraft, please contact us. You can leave your questions in the comments section and someone from our team will help you.