Fix: Windows Update Assistant error code: 0x8007054F
Windows Update Error 0x8007054F usually occurs when you try to install Windows Updates using Windows Update Support. It occurs due to the corrupted system or Windows update files. It can also be triggered when your system services that support Windows updates are stopped; Your system does not have enough disk space to install updates or the startup applications are interfering with the installation of Windows updates.
After analyzing the possible reasons behind this error, here are some methods you can employ to fix the problem.
1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Sometimes Windows update installation error pops up due to temporary glitches. The system files or folders that support WU will not load properly and will not proceed with the installation of WU and an error will be displayed. In this case, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It helps you identify the problem and fix it. Here are some steps to run the Windows update troubleshooter on your system.
- right click on the start menu and select system from the list.
- Scroll down to Troubleshooting. Then select other problem solvers.
- Now go to windows update and press the To run Possibility. It will take some time before the problem is identified and fixed.
- Once this is complete, reboot your system and check if the error appears.
2. Disable the VPN connection
VPN (Virtual Private Network can interfere with Windows update process. It can cause network connection problems and stop Windows update downloading. So if you are facing the problem, try to disconnect the VPN with following steps;
- Go to the arrow icon in the taskbar.
- Click on the VPN icon and the dashboard will open.
- Now press the disconnect option. Once the VPN disconnects, try installing the updates and see if the error occurs.
3. Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot32 folder
These two folders contain relevant files
windows update But if they are corrupted or corrupted, they can cause problems in downloading the ad installation when Windows is updated. So rename these folders; They create new Windows update files that will eventually help you troubleshoot. Therefore, follow the steps below;
- Click on the menu and type command prompt.
- Press the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Now type the following command in command line one by one and press Enter key.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc Ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren %systemroot%System32catroot2 catroot2.old net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
- Now type exit and press Enter again. This process creates two folders, SoftwareDistribution and Catroot32, which contain new Windows update files.
- After completing the process, try to install the Windows update and check if the error occurs or not.
4. Run the SFC scan
Windows update error 0x8007054F appears when the system files are corrupted, missing or damaged. The SFC scan detects the problem associated with these files and repairs them. So follow these steps to do the scanning;
- Go to the start menu again, type CMD and click on the “Run as administrator” option.
- Now type this command and press Enter.
- This process will take some time. Once this is done, reboot your system and try to install the Windows updates.
5. Perform a clean boot
If the problem persists, try performing a clean boot. Sometimes the startup applications cause problems during WU installation. They might have bugs or outdated drivers that can affect your PC’s performance and bug encounters. So, follow the steps below to run your system in a clean boot state.
- Go to start menu and type system configuration.
- Open the app. Click on that Services tab from the menu bar.
- Now check the box “Hide all Microsoft services” and press Disable all.
- So, click OKand your system boots in clean boot state.
- Try installing the Windows update. If you don’t see the error, the problem is with the services.
- Then re-enable the services one by one until you find the faulty one. Install drivers for this service to fix the problem.