Cal OES Recruitment for the Commander of the Cyber Security Center
Several high-profile leadership positions are up for grabs in state government recruitment – including leadership of the California Cybersecurity Integration Center (Cal-CSIC).
The Cybersecurity Role – entitled “commander— is a large corporation that oversees “a multi-agency coordination center that integrates all aspects of California’s statewide cybersecurity mission.” The Commander’s role is classified as “Senior Assistant to the Governor/Office of the Governor” and has no job classification. It requires a rigorous background check and either a “secret” designation or the ability to obtain one within nine months of assuming the role.
Cal-CSIC is part of the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES).
“The commander will lead the development of policies and processes to ensure successful nationwide Cal-CSIC operations, focusing primarily on conducting cybersecurity and cyber incident response operations, conducting cyber threat assessments, and building cybersecurity partnerships with public and private institutions,” he said vacancy says. “The commander will work to resolve operational policy deviations to ensure implementation of statewide programs and initiatives.”
Cal-CSIC has broad responsibilities in protecting the state from digital attacks, including:
- development of a nationwide cybersecurity strategy;
- Overseeing a Cyber Incident Response Team, which serves as California’s primary entity for detecting, reporting and responding to cyber threats to the public and private sectors;
- Assisting law enforcement partners in criminal investigations of cyber-related incidents;
- Collecting and sharing information about cyber threats among government agencies, utilities, academic institutions, private companies and others across the state;
- providing cyberattack alerts to government agencies and non-government partners;
- Helping public and private partners protect their vulnerable infrastructure and IT networks; and
- Assessing risks to critical infrastructure and information technology networks, threats to California’s critical infrastructure and key assets, and threats posed by new and disruptive technologies.
Requirements for the position are:
- Must have, or be authorized to receive, a Top Secret confidentiality clearance, with privilege for compartmented sensitive information being preferred.
- Must receive a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) classified security clearance within nine months of appointment.
- Must be able to maintain DHS Secret Security Clearance.
The position will be a mix of remote work and a face-to-face role.
“The Commander will work closely with the Commander of the State’s Threat Assessment Center to manage the implementation of technology solutions to enhance the State’s collection and automated dissemination of raw and prepared cyber threat intelligence,” he said Mandatory declaration says. “The commander will also serve as a liaison with local, state, federal, non-governmental and private counterparts for all cybersecurity-related issues.”
The role was last held by Jonathan Nunezwho was commander for two years.
The monthly salary range for this position is $13,900-$18,931 and the closing date for applications is June 20th.
That California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) seeks a boss (IT Manager II) to oversee multidisciplinary areas including database and middleware management, server infrastructure and identity management, storage engineering and privacy management, and network engineering and network operations management.
“The incumbent oversees one of the most complex infrastructures in the country,” she said vacancy says, “and has full managerial responsibility for the policies, standards, processes and procedures for the analysis, design, implementation, maintenance and operations of Caltrans’ IT infrastructure. The incumbent has full managerial responsibility for the organisation, planning, coordination, direction and control of all activities related to the day-to-day operations of the ISB (Infrastructure Service Branch).
For more information on the role, see Mandatory declaration. The position has a monthly salary range of $10,167 to $12,359 and the closing date for applications is June 28th.
That Financial Information System for California (FI$Cal) recruited for a boss (IT Manager II) of the Office for New Technologies and Integration Services (ETISO). The Director will be responsible for managing FI$Cal’s web services, including the Internet, intranet, collaboration, training and other general support services systems. ETISO also manages FI$Cal’s emerging technologies, including robotic process automation services, vendor portals, and artificial intelligence solutions such as chatbots.
Additional responsibilities include “the operation of FI$Cal’s Enterprise Integration Services, such as vacancy says. “This position has full managerial responsibility for the organisation, planning, direction, coordination and administration of all activities related to the ETISO.”
Desirable qualifications are:
- Experience in managing all activities related to the operation of complex, large-scale web services, new technology solutions, mission-critical interfaces and batch processes.
- Experience supporting the system availability, performance and service level goals of complex, large scale web services, emerging technology solutions, mission critical interfaces and batch processes.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and Azure, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) technologies, artificial intelligence and machine learning solutions, and integration technologies and architectural patterns.
- Applied knowledge of the principles and practices related to the design, implementation and operation of information technology systems and services.
- Applied knowledge of research and information technology best practice methods and processes to identify current and emerging trends in technology and risk management processes.
- Knowledge of new technologies and their application to business processes.
- Applied knowledge of government IT policies and standards and related federal and state regulations.
The job has a monthly salary range of $10,167 to $12,359, and the application deadline is June 22. For more details see Mandatory declaration.