Apply to be a Web Applications Engineer at The 19th
Minimum wage: $90,000
Location: Austin, TX or Remote
Reported at: Chief Technology Officer
The 19th is hiring an experienced, knowledgeable web applications engineer to help us build and grow the web platform for our growing nonprofit news organization.
In this role, you’ll work closely with a cross-functional group of journalists, designers, product managers and engineers to advance our mission to support those we serve – particularly women, women of color and the LGBTQ+ community – with information, resources and resources community they must be equal participants in our democracy. You will work closely with our CTO and product engineer to further develop our WordPress-based web platform, drive our open source strategy, support decentralized re-publishing of our content and develop tools to support our newsroom.
- Build elegant front-end interfaces with accessibility and inclusivity in mind.
- Write back-end code both inside and outside of the WordPress framework.
- Write code and configure infrastructure to improve our security and website performance.
- Identify and respond appropriately to production issues.
- Stay up to date on new technologies and developments that may impact our platform and mission.
- Propose, design and execute poor solutions in collaboration with the technology team and incorporating feedback from cross-functional stakeholders based on available time and resources.
- Write clear technical specifications and check them with clear, constructive comments
- Work closely with related teams to ensure implemented software meets business, technology architecture, and performance goals.
- Provide timely, substantive feedback on code written by peers.
Non-Essential Features (as capacity allows):
- Participate in brainstorming and design thinking sessions across the organization.
- Participating in culture building, inclusive decision making and bringing ideas to different parts of our work to improve ourselves as a company e.g. B. by supporting the onboarding of new team members or participating in our recruitment process.
- Participate in team, organizational and individual relationship building and professional development throughout the year.
Relevant skills include:
- 3+ years of experience building cross-platform web applications using web standards.
- Technical experience with:
- 3+ years writing standalone PHP 7+, ideally including WordPress and WordPress plugins
- 2+ years writing modern CSS and SASS
- 3+ years of integration with external APIs
- 3+ years experience with source control in Git
- 2+ years working with package managers like npm and composer
- 2+ years of experience with unit testing and testing frameworks such as Jest and PHPUnit
- 1+ years writing assignments using CI/CD pipelines like GitHub Actions, CircleCI or similar
- Ability to identify bottlenecks and optimize code for execution speed.
- Ability to communicate directly with stakeholders about product changes and deliveries in an accessible manner.
- Understanding of Open Source and Creative Commons licensing and ability to articulate the differences between licenses.
We know there are great candidates who may not tick all of these boxes or who have important skills that we haven’t thought of. Then don’t hesitate to apply and tell us something about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
- Holiday time (20 days per year)
- Sick leave (10 days per year)
- Personal days (6 days per year)
- Holidays (17 days in 2022)
- Paid family leave (100% up to 6 months)
- Nursing time (100% up to 4 months)
- 401(k) plan (up to 3.5% matching at 6% contribution)
- Flexible spending schedule (for qualifying medical or childcare expenses)
- Medical, eye and dental insurance (100% for employees / 60% for dependents)
- Scholarships for professional development
- Health & Homework Reimbursement Services
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance
- life insurance
How to apply
(Note: We do not accept resumes or applications via email; apply here.)
Interested applicants please apply here 14.8 at midnight CT. Do you have any questions about this position? Contact [email protected]