An important lever to accelerate the introduction of electric vehicles
by Vincent Minier
Northampton, MA – News Direct – Schneider Electric
Electric vehicles (EVs) are changing and decarbonising the mobility industry. With millions of new electric vehicles on the roads in the near future, this trend will accelerate in the years to come.
To maximize the benefits of this shift for both consumers and the environment, it is also important that we accelerate the global adoption of a smart charging infrastructure for electric vehicles.
With 300 to 500 million EV connections to be installed by 2040, the right charging infrastructure for electric vehicles will be crucial for building the intelligent and decentralized energy system of tomorrow.
Most of the existing policies today focus on building a public charging infrastructure. However, around 90% of EV charging stations installed by 2040 will be installed in private environments – mostly in our residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Therefore, it is important to assess the potential added value of using private EV smart charging technology in buildings for EV drivers, system operators and other stakeholders.
The many advantages of intelligent charging of electric vehicles in buildings
To evaluate this problem, the Schneider Electric ™ Sustainability Research Institute a cost-benefit analysis the installation of local intelligent EV charging technology in households, apartment buildings and commercial buildings.
Our research shows that the benefits of such an approach are striking for consumers and network operators. The results highlight the following:
– On average, intelligent charging stations for electric vehicles used in buildings are cheaper for consumers than comparable public charging points.
– Smart charging of electric vehicles can enable consumers to save up to 70% compared to charging costs for public electric vehicles, especially when combined with usage time tariffs, on-demand charges and the implementation of decentralized electricity generation infrastructure (e.g. on-site solar system). These savings can be achieved through the use of Load management systems.
– The benefits of charging electric vehicles are enhanced by the provision of network and system services, which underscores the value of a fully intelligent and bi-directional charging strategy.
– To implement Smart charging technology in buildings increases the load capacity local and global networks and at the same time helps to avoid large and expensive investments in the associated infrastructure.
– Finally, the provision of intelligent charging of electric vehicles in buildings reduces the associated CO2 emissions on average by more than public charging or uncontrolled charging at the building level.
A well-thought-out political approach is required
The potential benefits are enormous, but we need well-designed strategies to achieve them. The results of our study show that governments and regulators should try to ensure that:
the advancement of charging electric vehicles to buildings by removing all existing barriers.
A reduction in the intelligent charging costs of electric vehicles for consumers, through the introduction of time-of-use energy tariffs and the increased self-consumption of electricity generated by decentralized generation.
Better enter through to network and system services for electric vehicles to support the transformation of energy systems.
Smart charging of electric vehicles is an important enabler for the decarbonization of transport, buildings and global energy systems. In connection with flexible sources and loads within buildings, it also offers the potential to achieve important additional benefits for consumers and network operators.
This combination offers a more efficient and economically attractive offering than centralized paradigms – and is an important first step towards that Convergence of mobility, energy and urban transformation.
Full details and results of the modeling of intelligent EV charging in buildings by the Schneider ElectricTM Sustainability Research Institute can be found at Click here.
View source version on newsdirect.com: https://newsdirect.com/news/smart-ev-charging-in-buildings-a-key-lever-for-accelerating-evs-adoption-492481233